Sunday, December 18, 2005

Then we went home

It seems weird to be trying to recap this now that it is nearly three weeks later.

We were moved to the post pardom room which was smaller and cozier than the big birthing room. We tried to nap and relax but people were coming in every couple of minutes. The nurse that took over was a real bee-hatch. We had two unreal nurses in the L&D. In recovery we had one lame ass nurse, then the rest were swell. So we are hanging out bonding with baby who is getting cuter and cuter by the minute. They kept coming in to check the baby and my vital signs. Then some med student came in like 8 or 9 hours after delivery and gave me a vaginal exam. What the fuck? It hadn't been through enough?
I couldn't get baby to latch on and the breast feeding thing was really giving me a lot of adjida. The recovery room was pretty uncomfortable for jon, and we couldn't put the baby down. One of us was always holding him. Jon was sitting in the chair skin to skin with him. It is good for the bonding I wanted to take him so jon stood up and handed him to me. The blankets dropped away and we saw that jon was covered with what looked like chocolate syrup. Baby had pooped for the first time all over his daddy. It was hysterical. I thought I was going to bust my stitched laughing.

Anyway back to the bad stuff. So we alerted everyone that we wanted to leave. After we had been there one night and 36 hours. We were all ready to go home.

My midwife told me in the morning that if I was feeling up to it that I should just go home, since I would be more comfortable in my own environment and all that jazz. It was fine. Everyone was like trying to talk us out of it but not in a very serious way. Then at 5pm, we were planning on leaving at like 6. The resident from the nursery comes in and is all aggressive about us leaving. She was so mean. Saying she was concerned about how he hadn't latched on enough for them to be satisfied. I was like listen, we put the baby in the nursery for like 2 hours, so we could sleep, and when he came back in he had a pacifier in his mouth. We went through the roof. He was sleepy and there were a million interruptions so he was reluctant to nurse. She is like well if you leave today you have three choices, you can either bring him back tomorrow, get a home visit from a traveling nurse, or go to the pediatrician tomorrow. I was like we'll take the home visit. She leaves and comes back in like one minute, "I couldn't get you a home visit". Like the bee-hatch even tried! I was in tears by this time. Just fried from not sleeping and being in the hospital and all this shit. So we call our pediatrician and make an appointment.

This means that we had to take our 2 day old baby out into the world. Not to mention, I am out in the world 2 days after giving birth. Yikes!

But we finally get out of there.

The first night was rough. We all cried. I didn't know why the baby was crying and was just shot in general. After that it got better.

By Friday, my MIL was here. She cooked for us and cleaned my apartment from top to bottom. It was wonderful to have her here. She held the baby while jon and I slept.
She was great.

My parents left yesterday, it was a different story. But I think this one is long and boring enough.

No comments: