Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Live pest control

Internet-
I have a confession (s) to make.
1. I am the most impatient person in the world.
2. Rules do not apply to me. mostly because I know better.
3. I am cheap.*

These caveats of my personality rallied into a catastrophic whirlwind of bad decisions, no right-minded person would chose.

I have a little aphid problem in the garden. Nothing too major but starting to get destructive to my succulents.
I went to the plant store to buy myself a fern.
I have been spending time in Golden Gate Park - arguably the best places to bask in my love of ferns. While I was at the plant store. I inquires after and purchased some ladybugs - 1500 live ladybugs, in fact.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out where this is heading...

I let E hold the bag all the way home. Today is the hottest it has been here in forever. As soon as the ladybugs came out of the freezer, they started kicking, they looked hungry. The instructions are to "release them in the cool of the evening." I wondered what would happen if we released 'just a few' into the afternoon heat to get to work on those aphids.
As soon as I unstapled the mesh bag - the ladybugs stampeded. It was instant, they are not stupid, one of them sent out the run for freedom pheromone. Before long I, my hands were covered in ladybugs. As soon as I got the bag opened I realized I was in over my head and started trying to close it. They were everywhere. E was freaking out, on his tippy toes and shrieking about the scary ladybugs. Motu was alternately biting them and rolling in their eviscerated carcasses. I was trying to remain calm and failing. I hadn't thought anything through and I couldn't figure out what to do to contain the situation. So of course I yelled at E for asking me to open some crackers. Poor kid had to forage for food while I ran around with my fake calm voice trying to figure out how to contain the ladybugs. He realized lunch was not forth coming while I was in a ladybug panic.
I can hear them bashing up against my door outside. They really went to town on those aphids. Frisky buggers them were.

*1. I don't have a flying fuck of a clue what I am doing, so maybe I should slow down.
2. I couldn't wait till tomorrow night to release the ladybugs, our babysitter is coming tonight. We are going to see Ironman. (am I the only one who only hears Ozzy Osborne whenever I see it written down?)
3.I have about 300-500 ladybugs in my fridge right now, that's almost two bucks in there!

Time Check:
Approximately 1 hours later there are like eight of them out there. I shouldha followed the directions I guess...

No comments: