Monday, May 05, 2008

Snails

E is a nature boy. His urban wilderness is compromised largely of pigeons and snails. I am all for making the most of it. We collected snails and put them in spaghetti sauce jars, I poked air holes in the lid, we collected leaves for them to eat. Fast forward 5 hours later, he wanted to take them to his friend's house. I put the jar on top of the stroller, folded back the canopy and promptly forgot about it. We arrived, I picked up the stroller to get it up the stairs -whoops - the jar shatters on the sidewalk. I shoved E inside and grab a dustpan. It was a fucking snail holocaust. There were all decimated shells and chunks of glass jammed into their soft snail bodies. They were all like quivering and doing their tiny little death throws, shimmering with slime and glass. One raised a last quivering tail/ head, pathetically above the black matter of rotted leaves et all. Five snails, numerous leaves in different stages of rot and digestion, makes for a funky, rot, stink.Also - I couldn't decide which refuse container I should put them in. Compostable ? Well glass isn't compostable. Recycling? Seems like I shouldn't throw organic material in with the recycling.

No comments: