Monday, September 13, 2004

It Ain’t Easy Bein’ a Ho

Oh Comcast. You caught me with your introduction to HBO and all its carnal programming. How are you not supposed to get hooked when you get 3 months free? I have grown accustomed to OZ, and Gang and Prostitution programs. Let alone the ten stations of movies you get. I guess really nine since I can’t understand HBO-L.
Just last night I watched this cool movie My Little Eye totally rad concept. It is a live stream camera reality website gone haywire. Admittedly, I never would have watched it, were it not free. Basically these 5 people are set up in a house in the middle of nowhere and there are cameras all over the house. The novelty was that the movie was shot entirely through these house cameras. So in essence, you are only able to see what the “subscribers” to the website. I guess it was shot digitally. It has the same look as 28 Days Later. Very cool concept.
The other awesome thing about HBO is there dramamentaries. Yeah I just made that word up. They are documentary style shows that play hard on the dramatic aspects of the reality. Easily my favorite has been, It Ain’t Easy Bein a Ho: Prostitutes in Atlantic City. I mean the one about Ho’s in the Bronx was also pretty cool, but this one was better. Then there is all the gang stuff. There is pt I of these gangs in Little Rock Arkansas, then the follow up 10 years later in pt II. What cool things to witness from the outside. I learned about stacking signs and gang initiation. “I done lived the hard life, now I am looking for the good life.” Said by this decade gang-member, at the ripe age of 24. No once knows how to help them get out of the gangs they know they are going to die before they see 30. It is a fact of life.
In the Mission district, of San Francisco, there are all these gangs; shootings every weekend. Latino men can’t wear red or blue in the wrong areas. They asked this old lady if she knew who’s turf she was on and she was like “hells yeah, this is the Sureños, homes! The Norteños don’t show their faces here, B.” For an interesting article see: http://www.sfexaminer.com/article/index.cfm/i/050304n_gangs

On Friday I went and picked up my new glasses. I was happy to see that they were not crazy, old lady glasses and in fact, they are sort of cool. However, when I wear them they give me vertigo. So I have not been wearing them. I am slightly concerned since I already ordered my contacts in this prescription. Maybe it is just the size or shape of the glasses that are throwing me off.

This weekend was all about the outdoors. The heat wave we have been experiencing this past week has finally given up. A low-pressure source has slip down the west coast from Alaska, good old Alaska.
So the weather has been delightful. Sunny, but briskly windy, take that sweatshirt with you but once you have been walking for a while you won’t need it.

Saturday we were off to Randall Park, aka Carrona Heights Park. I was under the impression that there was going to be a Boston terrier meet-up group. It turns out I got my dates messed up. There was not a Boston to be seen. So we did some hiking instead, fun and rewarding. What other major hub can you go hiking in and then go out for tap as? Then on Sunday we went to Buena Vista Park. What a beautiful spot; so far one of my favorites in the city. I can’t describe the wonderful smells associated with the woods and the trees. But they are wonderful. Up on top of the mountain there is a little flowerbed with a grassy knoll. There was a female Boston up there named Stella. And Motu and Stella romped around for a good time. Meanwhile Jon and I tried to make small talk with the other Boston owners. It is pretty easy to do; you just talk about the dogs and their personalities and how they interact with you. Crazy dog people love to talk about their dogs with other crazy dog people.

Then Jon and I played tennis. We got these rackets at Goodwill and I have been dying to try them out. Jon has played tennis like twice. I used to play all the time and I was on the team in High School. Ok, so that was like 10-12 years ago but still, embarrassingly enough, Jon and I were pretty evenly matched. I think he is a natural athlete and I am a natural clod. It was really fun. My arms hurt today.

I made stuffed peppers for dinner on Saturday, with some amazing California produce. I think I am still farting because of it.

Jon and I are going for a run tonight. We have stopped drinking beer during the week and we are going to run and play tennis to get us in shape. Jon ran like 2 miles and I think he was back in shape. I was purple and thought I was going to die.

For those of you on the inside I will be sending out links to my photo album for all photos that go along with this installment of high-jinx. Email me to get on the list or leave a comment.

Yeah Right…

No comments: