Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Who knew?

Today I went to the eye doctor.
Dr Kennedy said, "Ok if we do your ocular exam? Are you ready for it?"
I said, "What exactly do I have to be ready for?"
"Well, you may be a bit sensitive for the rest of the day. So we wouldn't dilate your pupils if you were, say, going to the beach after this."
I assured her I had no plans to go to the beach, my contacts came out and the drops were in. I was then lead around the office by different faceless people.

I was not prepared for the utter incapacitation. After I was released. I stumbled out into the unbelievably bright San Francisco sun. I couldn't look up or down or anywhere. I had to walk with my straw hat over my face. I must have looked like I was whacked out of my gourd with just the slightest slice of blue around my pupils.


Obviously, I was ravenous after all the calories burned dilating my pupils. The people in the pizza shop stared like crazy as I jammed the pizza in my yap as fast as possible. Women ushered their children around me the long way. The pizza was delicious though, Escape From New York Pizza. { 508 Castro StSan Francisco, CA 94114 Cross Street: 18th Street Phone: (415) 252-1515 } I gave them $3 and put the change in the tip jar, I have no idea how much the slice was. It actually was NY style pizza!

After the pizza, as I waited for the bus, on Castro street, I was accosted by women trying to get signatures to raise money for AIDS research. There were mentions of Bill Gates and getting paid per signature they get. I tried to explain to them I couldn't see. Before I knew it, a clipboard was in front of me and a pen was placed in my fingers. The women basically held my hand and told me at what points to sign. I could have been signing my acceptance into any cult or selling myself into bondage. They seemed nice though, I hope they were as nice as their voices sounded, and I did not in fact sign away anything I will need in the future.

No comments: