Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Movie review

I went to the movies this afternoon. I think I went because this movie house makes the best popcorn eva and they use REAL butter, and we all know 'butter makes it better'.
So I saw Ganges: River to Heaven.
It is a movie about this city in India on the Ganges river called, Varnasi. If you want to see what is was about you can read the review. It is pretty cut and dry.
I like to watch movies about India. I like to read books that take place in India. I like to look at pictures of India. I don't think I ever want to go to India. All those people, so close together, YIKES!

But this movie was really insightful, it helps you see the very interesting relationship Hindu Indians have with death and heaven and reincarnation and the Ganges river (which they pronounce Ganga, sounds like ganja with a hard g). They all seemed so intimate with death. They were not afraid to hold the person and force feed them various medicines. The whole family would hang out in these hospice rooms and keep a death watch on the people. It was really spiritual. When the loved ones died, they would bathe the body in the river and then cremate it. Some bodies (due to the method they died) would not be cremated but simply submerged and floated off into the river. They had an engineering team who was getting the pollution rating of the river. For drinking water there should be 0 levels of fecal coliform. And for bathing it was something like 40 per ml. Somedays the river is 100,000 per ml. People bathe daily in the river. They drink it they take bottles of it home for the sick and infirmed who can't make it to the river. Because the river is supposed to kill the evil inside you and so the people think the river goddess will protect them from the pollution.
If you get a chance to see it. I would say go. It isn't really that depressing even though it is all about death. It is really interested. They said there was about 100 bodies burned at the river a day, and a body takes about 3 hours to burn.
So it is not unusual to see bloated purple corpses floating by while babies and people are bathing and drinking the water.

I was getting grossed out because the guy in the theater took his shoes off. I would not do well in India.

ugh i revised this thing and added all these interesting facts and then blogger shat out on me. And so this idiot, non spell checked version was published. I apologize, just in case anyone read this.

1 comment:

DeadBug said...

Kristin, I'm reading! Don't have much to add regarding the Ganges as all I know about it is what I saw in a documentary, oh, twenty years ago or so, but it sounds like a very interesting film.

How's the househunting coming along?

--Bugs