Monday, June 27, 2005

Prenatal yoga class

So Jon is away and that means more posting than anyone would want to ever read.

I just got back from PNYC. There were actually 3 other woman there. One was 7 months, one 8 months and one 9 months, she was due last week, then there is me at measly 4 months. Who knew there was a hierarchy amongst pregnant woman? Not that I should be surprised. I was treated as the faker because I am not showing, I just look dumpy and bloated. Everyone else had huge bellies. They all laughed because it took them 5 minutes to get into the poses while I, being the queen of athleticism I am, was able to gracefully get into enviable postures.
There was dissent among the visibly pregnant too though. The 8 monther asked the 9 monther if they were going to induce her. And the 9 monther sniveled at the suggestion because she is going natural and having a home birth and therefore they are not going to do something so barbaric and unnatural as induce.

I mean I didn't expect us to all hug and weep under the umbrella that is pending motherhood. Or chant earth goddess mother style but, we are all going through something similar together, no?

I foolishly thought this would be a good way to meet other knocked up chicks from the hood. But I was mistaken. Plus who would want to be friends with the girl who farts her way through yoga class? I can't help it. Child's pose makes me fart when I relax into it. What am I supposed to do? Tense all up and hold it in?
Ewwwwwww that is the gross farting girl from yoga class...

2 comments:

k said...

There is a hierarchy among pregnant women, you are absolutely right.

I remember going to a Christmas party where a friend of a friend was, literally, like 2 weeks further along than I was (also her first child). And she made me feel like I was just a silly little girl who was barely showing and knew nothing about pregnancy and that she was an all-knowing pregnant woman who was maternal from head to toe.

And you know what?...I totally bought into it. I felt like crap the whole party, like I made a horrible pregnant person, and I just wanted to leave and cry.

Don't let the snotty yoga ladies get to you. Don't let the excessive belly-rubbing unnecessarily waddling women in the baby stores bother you.

You're pregnant. Somebody will always be further along than you are. Somebody will always be behind you (please God, let that continue to be me).

Ya know?

Ack, sorry for the novel comment.

Anonymous said...

http://www.viewzone.com/homosexual.html

I would definitely try to keep stress levels to a minimum.

Being gay may be natures way of keeping the population under control, triggered by prenatal stress in mothers, presumably to help in times of famine or overpopulation.

Not that there is anything wrong with being gay...

;)