Monday, June 27, 2005

Pride Weekend

So this weekend was pride weekend in grand ol San Francisco. It was "Happy Pink Saturday" and that was the day of the Dyke Parade. Which was kicked off by Dykes on Bykes. It was all these motorcycling, leathered-out, lesbians tearing through the Mission. We were invited by a friend of a friend to go to their apt and enjoy the festivities. It was cool. There were lots of really beautiful women and lots of ugly woman and many many woman sans shirts. While some of the baby dykes had fantastic cute perk little breasts, there were many old fat ladies proudly showing their goods as well. It was cool cause you know what? Fuck em. Who cares if you are fat and have giant stretch marks? I felt too creepy taking pictures of the topless ladies so there are none.
One of my favorite parts of the march was the first trolley that went by that had all the older lesbians on there that couldn't make the walk. One of them had a sign that said, "I wish when I was 20 I had an old dyke like me to talk to," I just wanted to cry. I don't think these young people really understand what previous generations had to go through to so they could be where they are now.
Then Sunday was the actual pride parade. I missed most of the parade since I was on a quest for an all beef hot dog ($5 can you believe it?). But there were lots of gay men and lesbians all over the place.
It was a really good positive vibe. Lots of love and tolerance and acceptance. This is one of the reasons I want to stay in SF and raise kids here. It is fantastic to see all kinds of lifestyles getting a long and laughing and drinking over prices water down drinks. Dancing and kissing and hugging.
I felt like in NYC there was always a very ominous overtone to the pride parade. Like at any moment some crazy Irish Catholics are going to spring up with baseball bats and start stomping. Not here, it was fun. There were tons of kids, one little kid had on a shirt that said "I heart my moms," I wanted to cry.
I got sunburned and listened to some really really bad music, third eye blind anyone?
Here are the pictures...

No comments: