Saturday, September 10, 2005

Their Eyes Were Watching God

So I just finished reading this book, by Zora Neale Hurston. It was an incredibly powerful book. This was the first African American feminist novel. And oh my the language is wonderful. "An envious heart makes a treacherous ear" was one of my favorites.
There is a big hurricane disaster in the end of the novel and I just couldn't help but think of Katrina. Isn't it weird, I'm reading a book written in the 1930's and it is so applicable and even parallel to what happened last week.
Just goes to show how everything literally revolves around me, how I was meant to read this book just at this time.

2 comments:

Brett said...

I read that in my book club.I liked the line when Teacake (I think) said something like, " You've got the keys to the Kingdom" or something like that

kristenL said...

I think we shall name the baby Tea Cake.
What a super name.