Tuesday, October 18, 2005

I didn't have to get my anus swabbed today

So that is always a good thing. We won't do the group B strep test until my next appointment.

We had a different midwife today. She was really cool she turned out to be my med student's (see how she is "my med student") instructor. So the med student, Courtney, got to feel where the baby was. My med student Courtney (mmsC) is so super sweet and like a little bundle of energy. She also is the oldest of 2 brothers and one of them is named Kevin. Isn't that weird?

My weight is an enormous 204 but hey I am growin' a baby in here, and he likes them chocolate chip cookies!
So #1 is head down and back up. So he is probably kneeing me in the rib cage, and that is the source of tenderness.

I am coming out about wanting to have this baby naturally. I was a little timid feeling that if I was all "I am woman hear me roar and I am doing it without drugs." And then afterwards had to confess that during labor I totally wussed out and in fact I had all manner of drugs I could get in my body, I would be disappointed with myself and as a result my huge blog fan base would also be disappointed with me. But there I said it. I am committed to trying to do this naturally. I know you are shaking your head and saying "we'll see sister."
I am even considering having a doula. (that is how much of a hippie I am!) A doula is basically a birth coach. And according to this article is more beneficial to the mother and baby. I love jon dearly, but I know that if I am in pain and begging for drugs jon is going to cave. However, if there is someone there that we both trust who is like well, kristen why don't we get in the shower, or just get through this contraction then we can talk. The chances of my doing this sans drugs through the transitional phases is much more likely.

So we have to really decide about the birth plan and asking them not to offer me drugs. I have always had terrible willpower about being offered drugs and being unable to say no.

Also who knew there was this huge debate about vitamin K which is routinely given to all new borns at birth. Do I need to tell you that I think we are not going to let anyone stick #1. Especially unnecessarily...

2 comments:

Llama_school said...

FWIW, there'll be no judgement from me if you bend toward the drugs.

Regardless, I love to read the doula/birthplan stuff. When I was pg I was fascinated with other people's birthplans, but couldn't come up with one for myself. I finally just started telling everyone that my plan was to go into the hospital with the baby on the inside and come out a few days later with it on the outside, but I couldn't even stick to that one. She had a blood incompatibility issue and we didn't see the outside of the maternity ward for 8 days. Moral: well-laid plans are there to comfort you and then morph at your prerogative.

kristenL said...

thanks-
I think you are 100% right. I mean how the hell do you really plan for something that is a total mystery until you actually go through it. My birth plan is definately more reed and less oak tree, grasshopper.