Wednesday, November 09, 2005

First I Bitch

So the party that Jon's work threw for us was very nice. Being that they are a "design" office we got some baby Ugg boots. I don't like it when grown ups wear them but something about these little boots are too cute for words.

bitch #1
We missed the "important part" of the hospital tour. We saw the birthing rooms - it all just gave me a bad feeling. I just don't associate hospitals with good things. I mean the rooms are all private and very nice and they have jacuzi tubs in them. But I don't know, it is still very hospitally.

bitch #2
I was at PNYC and it was a private session again because everyone has either had their babies or they are lazy (and it was raining.) As a result I have become very tight with the yoga teacher. We talk about personal things and friends and relationships, it is nice. She was telling me about a friend of hers that is 2 weeks ahead of me, she was supposed to come to the class with her mom. Because her mom was out staying with her for like a month waiting for the baby and to be there for the birth and to help take care of them all. It made me intensely jealous. Like so much so that I couldn't really concentrate on my "practice." I want my mommy too! I just got off the phone with her and I wanted to ask her if she would come out for the birth but I couldn't get the words out of my mouth. She has a real job in the medical profession, and really can't up and leave on a moments notice. And I am not really sure how that would work. I want my mom to come for a month and help me out. God that makes me sad.

bitch #3
this one is about the in-laws.
So my parents are coming out Dec 11th. It was arranged that jon's parents would come for xmas. So the MIL emails jon and tells him the dates they plan on being here, note only emails jon not me. They are coming the 23rd and leaving the 27th. Does that seem silly to you?
Now I am sure that is plenty of time for me. PLENTY. But they only want to see the grandson for 4 days? They are staying in a hotel up in Nob Hill and the SIL in coming too. I mean I know they have their own life. But, wouldn't you expect them to stay a week at least? Maybe I am wrong. Perhaps they have not received word yet that the world revolves around me and soon around my son (oooh that's weird I have a son.)

bitch #4
So jon's dad lives in MA still, and frankly, he is a sad sack. Jon's mom remarried and all that jazz. So the SIL calls up jon and says that for xmas she wants to fly their dad down to where she lives in the south, for a little visit. However "for xmas" really means like the first week of Dec. Because she is going to be here for xmas. And she is going to fly him down and she wants us to pay for his transport from his apartment to the airport and back home again afterwards - App $150. Now it is not the $.
It just seems so weird. The SIL is having her mother up for thanksgiving and they are not going to be around for xmas so the father just gets fitted in wherever it is convenient for her.
It seems like if they are going to fly the father anywhere it should be here to see the baby. (Again see above about the world revolving around me and my spawn.) However that would cause a huge problem, where would we put him. I don't really feel like spending all that $ to put him in a hotel. He can't really get around that well. He is EXTREMELY negative and well, unpleasant to be around. It seems like a weird situation to me, jon thinks it is perfectly normal. Since "the holidays are hard for him" I am not sure how this is alleviating any of the holiday blues for him. Since he is being marginalized to a period in early Dec. And I guess for "xmas" we are supposed to just send him a check so he can afford his taxi to and from the airport...
Ugh family, Ugh holidays.
yeah Baby!

Seriously comments or emails greatly appreciated, I feel my judgment is skewed due to my selfishness cocoon.

2 comments:

k said...

I just have to tell you that I also feel insane jealousy every time someone tells me how their Mom came and stayed with them for a week ... 2 weeks ... after the birth. And how she cooked and cleaned for them and let them nap.

And my Mom, like yours, has a job that is hard to take time away from (well, more that she doesn't want to take time away from).

And although I did muster up the guts to ask her to come and stay with me for a week, I don't really think she understood what I meant (which was, "Come and BE MY MOMMY and TAKE CARE OF ME for a week") and she hemmed and hawed and talked about "seeing if she could get some days off."

So I believe I'm on my own postpartum.

Better luck to you when you ask your Mom, m'kay?

Brett said...

Hi KRocker. Diddo on not having the MIL around longer.(no offense to Jon) Maybe she'll be sweet and nurturing, but maybe you'll have to 2 foot kick her. I hope your mom will go out there. Ask her, beg her. But maybe not too close to the "date". Who knows when you're actually going to pop #1 out. My SIL was 2 weeks late last time. I wish I could go out and help, but I don't think I could deal with the cats. Keep on hangin' tough. Megatron